S’more Cupcakes Recipe
March 18, 2010 § Leave a comment
6 graham cracker boards (oblongs)
2 Tbsp each sugar and melted butter
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/2 cup each canola oil and water
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
6 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Small handheld butane torch
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Crumbs: Process graham crackers in food processor until fine crumbs. Add sugar and butter; pulse until blended. Spoon about 2 tsp into each muffin cup. Top with 1 tsp mini chocolate chips.
3. Cupcakes: In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt until blended. In medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, oil, water and vanilla until blended; whisk into flour mixture until smooth.
4. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
5. Marshmallow Topping: Put egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a large metal bowl. Set over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, about 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Transfer to large bowl of an electric stand mixer. Beat 5 to 7 minutes, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Spoon into a large ziptop freezer bag.
7. Snip a 1-in. opening off one tip; pipe topping onto each cupcake. Using handheld torch, lightly brown the topping, taking care not to burn the cupcake liners. Serve immediately, or store in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 2 days.